Welcome!

In Louisa May Alcott's short story "Marjorie's Three Gifts", little Marjorie, upon the eve of her twelfth birthday, is gifted a tin money bank and told a fairytale by her Granny. The tale includes newfound wealth, unending happiness, and a prince to sweep her off her feet to his kingdom far away from the shabby little cottage in which she and her grandmother dwell. 

On her birthday the following morning, separate encounters with three people-- a strange little man, a kind lady, and a childhood friend--teach Marjorie how the gifts of industry, cheerfulness, and love are always within reach and available in ways she has never considered. 

Without spoiling too many details of this sweet story (you really must read it for yourself if you have not yet done so!), I'll only hint at a moment when the kind lady offers the child a beautiful painting of her cottage and the following words to teach Marjorie to see the sunnier side of her situation:

"For it is amazing how lovely common things become, if one only knows how to look at them". 

Today's world of media, status, influencers, platforms, and comparisons is stealing the joys of ordinary everyday life. Interestingly, the struggle is no different now than in Marjorie's time. The opening lines of the story state the girl is "quite unconscious what a pretty picture she made" because her thoughts are far away, wishing for the fairy-tale. 

May we not miss the beauty in our own days, in our own common things, while pining for something else. The common things in our lives which seem mundane or dusty can be quite lovely if we only change the way we look at them and, as the kind lady advised, find the sunny side to everything. I hope this little space will be an encouragement in doing just that!

Welcome to my blog and welcome to my lovely common life! 


Comments

  1. Love it! I've never heard of Marjorie's Three Gifts, now I have to get read it! Excited to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend, for visiting my new blog home! I hope you get to read the story soon and that it speaks to you in encouraging ways!

      Delete
  2. As I age, the more treasured my life's routines and the common things become!! Like a beautiful tapestry, these have become woven into what really is important and cherished in my memory bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%! Getting older has certainly put things in different perspective for me too!!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love these thoughts. I have not heard of that story before but I definitely want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! It is a sweet story with a beautiful message!

      Delete
  4. Alinda, this is such a wise move AND I’m glad you’re going to continue to blog! We need your beautiful content!
    The expense of Wordpress has me thinking it might be time for me to consider a move, too. We shall see.
    I know your new home on the Internet will continue to be a blessing. Thanks for sharing your lovely, common life. 🩷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that just makes my day, Denise! Thank you for the sweet encouragement and for hopping over to my new "home"! There is still a learning curve even with this simpler format, but so far it already feels like a good move and has sparked in me new excitement to continue blogging.

      Delete
  5. I adore your blog and have enjoyed it for several years. Your content is like a modern day Emilie Barnes (are you familiar with her?) and so needed. I will be gratefully following along. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm familiar with Emilie Barnes and her heartwarming writing! How very sweet of you!! I'm so thankful to have you reading and following along. I definitely don't take it for granted and pray I can always be an encouragement. Merry Christmas, friend, to you and your loved ones!

      Delete
  6. Oh, what a great short story and amazing blog name to go along with it as well!! I love that perspective on life so much. I cannot wait to follow along and am so thankful for your posts and writing!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!! ☺️🥰🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabitha! You are always so kind and I appreciate you reading along in the past and now finding me here at my new "home". I hope you and your little ones have a very Merry Christmas! I'm enjoying your holiday posts so much!!

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of or read this short story, but what a lovely inspiration for your blog name. I feel the very same about the common things of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. T.! I'm so glad you followed me over here!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea and Books

This and That