This and That
Today's post is just a little this and that from life lately.
My husband and I had a work dinner with the men and wives from his office. The dinner was at Botanic in Auburn and while I've been there during the day, this was my first time at night. It was magical!
I remember reading a biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder many many years ago that talked about a letter she wrote to her daughter one January day in her later years of life. In the letter, Wilder commented to her daughter, "I planted my spring garden today". She went on to explain that her "planting" was simply a mapping out of her upcoming spring garden on a piece of scratch paper. It was her garden plan and the ideas on paper were the beginning seeds sown in her mind. I loved that when I first read it and I've always thought about that each January when it's time to plan my own spring garden.
My own garden is looking pretty drab lately, but it is winter after all. I've never gotten into fall/winter veggies but decided to experiment this year. At the end of October, I planted broccoli, collards, and Brussels sprouts. I've not given them much attention so they have not thrived at all, however I am seeing a little evidence of growth now. Above is a baby broccoli!
For Christmas, I got a greenhouse cabinet and I just love it! My husband and son put it together and they're just waiting for me to decide the placement of the shelves before they add those. It will be so helpful for starting my spring seedlings soon.
In other news from our backyard, this little guy is trying to keep plump and stay warm. My son and I got so tickled one day while we were doing schoolwork at the kitchen table because Mr. Squirrely here just kept staring at us from the fence. Want to know an unpopular opinion I have about squirrels? I like them! I know they eat bird food and all, but I think they're cute and I really don't mind them being around.
I'm teaching the 2s/3s class on Wednesday night and they are just the cutest! My sweet husband helps me and the kiddos think he's so hilarious. And he is.
Soccer practice started back up again and this is my favorite view of practice-- the guys and coaches huddling at the end of practice to pray!
My daughter had a church retreat with her college group to Ft. Walton and texted gorgeous beach photos throughout the weekend.
She had a wonderful weekend but unfortunately came home with the flu!!
I'm tweaking my dining room decor just a tad.
This was a super sweet thank you note from an expectant mother at our church. It was so graciously written, thanking me not only for a baby gift but also for teaching her first two children in Bible class and saying that she looks forward to her next baby having me. My husband and I often talk about how much a simple thank you is so appreciated and important in this world. We don't do things for others to get praise-- we do it for the Lord-- but it's so nice when it is appreciated, isn't it!
My daughter and I picked up coffee from a local coffee shop (we got one to take to my husband too) and when the owner handed me the coffees she said, "I'm sorry I only have one cozy for y'all but I hand make those myself and that is the only one I have left today". My mouth dropped open and I said, "Oh my goodness, you mean you hand make these for your costumers?!" Wow, what a special touch!
I'm slowly getting back to making bread. We need it to go with all the soup January calls for!
I'll be honest, I don't love having soccer practice in the evening and the disruption it brings to our mealtime and nightly routine. Each season I really have to get my head wrapped around it. But, I'm learning to be okay with eating later so we can eat as a family and I'm preparing much simpler yet warm meals. No frills but very filling, much like the dinner above. Veggie soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
My niece-in-law made all the family members jars of taco seasoning for Christmas and look at this adorable label she designed! Those are their dogs, Balou and Otis. We told her she needs to market a whole line.
Anytime we go to Texas we bring back HEB's famous bakery tortillas. They are amazing! We bring back several bags and freeze them. So if you're ever in Texas, find an HEB and get you some.
This is my current favorite healthy option fast food meal. I get the kale crunch salad and top it with the 8-count grilled nuggets. It's so good!
And before I close, of course I have to add some photos from my morning walks.
This was the most random bunch of photos, ha! I hope you're all having a great week!






















This was fun to read and the pictures are great! Which fast food place is it that you get your healthy option meal? It looks really good. Oh, and your bread is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWell the name of the restaurant would help, wouldn't it! :) It's Chick-Fil-A, which is so common down here in the south, I didn't even think to give the name, lol. And thank you for your comment about my bread! That is very kind of you to say. I enjoy it so much, it's always nice to get back to it after not making it for a while. Have a nice day!
DeleteWhat a fun post! Your greenhouse cabinet will be a great addition to your garden. I like squirrels too, we see a lot of them in our backyard. If you don’t want them eating birdseed Target sells some birdseed with a pepper blend that is good for birds but squirrels don’t like the taste of.
ReplyDeleteThe tortillas made me think of this, the next time you are up here we have a really fun Mexican restaurant we should all go to. I think you would like it as they make the tortillas in house daily, at the right tables you can see them being made. They are the best.
Oooh, that restaurant sounds amazing, Heidi! Yes, we would love to go with y'all next time we're up there! I've never heard of the birdseed with pepper but I will definitely give it a try. What a brilliant idea! Hope your year is off to a great start!
DeleteLoved every single pic in this post! I echo the sentiment of a genuine thank you note too. I did some broccoli and collards too for the first time. And, my son does swim in the evenings so we have had some similar suppers. I tried to make them cozy like you did too🫶beautiful bits of winter life 🥰🙌☕️
ReplyDeleteJenny in NC
Aww, Jenny, you're so kind! Ok, please let me know how your broccoli and collards do! I kind of left my garden on autopilot for the winter so it's in need some TLC for sure. And any meal ideas for those winter evenings coming home from sports, send them my way. It sounds like we're in the same boat with athletics in the evening!!
Delete