Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Pie

Last weekend, I made an old pie recipe that I'm planning to serve at an upcoming dinner. I'll need to make five or six pies for the event so I wanted to refamiliarize myself with the recipe and make sure I had the process down before making that many. It was originally called Nutella Pie, but I've since added more forms of chocolate to the recipe-- a total of four, to be exact! 

It's a chocolate cookie crust with a fluffy Nutella filling, followed by a rich ganache and whipped cream, and finally topped with mini chocolate chips. I told my husband this was now a quadruple chocolate pie which he shortened to "quad choc pie", haha. Pretty catchy but I'm thinking that a pie offering FOUR forms of chocolate has earned the right to bear the word "chocolate" that many times in it's title!


CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE PIE (aka Quad Choc Pie)

INGREDIENTS:

-25 Oreos, crushed

-5 Tbsp. butter, melted

-8 oz, cream cheese, softened

-13 oz. jar Nutella

-8 oz. Cool Whip

-3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided

-8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bars, finely chopped, OR high quality semi-sweet chocolate chips 

- 1/2 cup powdered sugar 

-splash of vanilla 

-mini chocolate chips

Crust: Combine the crushed Oreos with 5 Tbsp. melted butter. Press into a pan and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool.

Filling: With a mixer, blend room temp cream cheese until smooth; add in the Nutella and blend both until creamy and blended well. Stir in the Cool Whip until all blended. Spread the filling in the cooled Oreo crust.

Ganache: Pour 1 cup of hot (just before boiling) whipping cream over 8 oz. finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate bars or higher quality chocolate chips. Do not stir!! Let the two sit together for 3 minutes to soften the chocolate, then stir carefully until they are blended and smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken just a tad. Once cooled enough to not melt the filling, spread the ganache over the pie filling and let it set up some more (you can use this amount for 2 pies if you only want a thin layer).

Whipped cream: In a chilled metal bowl, whip 2 cups of heavy cream with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla until peaks form. Spread over the ganache. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips!


I had to take a picture before covering up all the glossy ganache with the whipped cream! And below is what it looks like cut and showing all the layers. So delicious!

To make several of these, I might save some time and purchase the ready-made chocolate cookie crust. We'll see. 

Happy Tuesday! 

Comments

  1. Oh my, this sounds so scrumptious! Maybe I might make this for some event but not until after our sugar fast is finished. If you wanted to up the chocolate even more you could add a little cocoa to the whipped cream. Just a thought! But I imagine the regular whipped cream is perfect with all of that chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, you're giving me ideas! I think cocoa in the whipped cream would be a welcomed FIFTH form of chocolate. We'll have to call it "Quint Choc Pie"! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Tea and Books

This and That