I've been enjoying my winter reading and I thought I'd share the books I've been working through this month. I read mostly in the evenings when I get in bed. It slows my body and quiets my mind from the noise of the world. I love to end the day this way and find I sleep better after reading a chapter or two, or maybe even just a page if I start nodding off quickly.
First off, Jan Karon’s The Mitford Years series! A while back, after a very long run of reading books for homeschool, spiritual growth, and information (health, politics, etc.), I really desired to just read something sweet and lighthearted for sheer pleasure and relaxation, especially at bedtime. I was also wanting to find a good series that I could continue to enjoy for a while. It's so disappointing to finish a book and wish it didn't have to end, but with a good series, you know you'll have more of the story to enjoy in the next book!

I had read a couple of Jan Karon's Mitford books sooo many years ago and decided to give those a try and start with the first book, making my way through the series. I recently finished the fourth book, Out to Canaan. The quirky characters, sweet storyline, and small town setting (which reminds me so much of my own little town!), always had me looking forward to my evening reading time. And of course, now I'm eager to begin book 5 and keep up with my friends, Father Tim and his lovely wife and everyone in Mitford!
While I do still read several of the books for my son's schooling, gone are the days of our read-alouds in the afternoon with mugs of hot cocoa, sniff sniff. I happened to notice Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan while looking up some other material and even though it's a children's book (ages 9-12), I had to get it because it remined me of the books we used to read together (think Number the Stars). The book is set during World War 2 and based on the true story of school children in a small Norwegian village who helped transport $9 million worth of gold to a hidden cave to be picked up and taken by boat to America for safekeeping from the Nazis. How did the children sneakily get it past those watchful Nazi soldiers? On their sleds!
And by the way, my son, who is now 15, did pick it up and read it one day and said it was really good.

There has been quite a buzz about Theo of Golden by Allen Levi, so I was intrigued and decided to give it a try. I'm halfway through the book and so far, I can understand now what all the talk's about. This is a beautiful book! An old Portuguese man, Theo, moves into a small town (again, reminding me very much of my own little town). At the coffee shop, he notices portraits by a local artist of different people from the community. He's so drawn to the faces, he decides to purchase the portraits one at a time, study them, and then give them to the subjects, meeting with them to hand deliver the gift and have them tell their story. But as he works his way through one portrait and meeting to the next, I am increasingly wondering about Theo himself. What's his story?!
(Disclaimer: I have noticed a few “words” spoken by a troubled character so if it gets worse in the remainder of the book, I’ll let you know.)
And lastly is what I call a "revisit" book. This would be a book that I've read in years past which I learned much from, maybe even was lifechanging in some way, and I hold on to it to come back to for future reference. I might read the whole book again or I might just touch on the highlights (especially if I wrote notes in it) when I need to be reminded of the good principles it taught. This is the case with Asherita CiuCiu's book Full: Food, Jesus, and the Battle for Satisfaction. Several years ago, this book made quite an impact on my heart and how I view food from a spiritual sense. Asherita teaches about food fixation (whether junky or healthy) and how food is a gift from God that is meant to draw our hearts closer to Him, not replace Him as an idol. Something reminded me of this book recently and I decided to revisit it for a brush-up!
Ok friends, what have you been reading lately that you would recommend? I'd love to hear!
Comments
Post a Comment